I suppose now is as good a time as any to get this off my chest. The truth is Max isn’t likely to be making any more posts in the near future, if at all. He’s OK, but his every day life has rather got in the way of blogging. I’ve known this for a while but just haven’t had the heart to make an announcement on his behalf.
Our host has effectively “given me the keys” and told me to do what I want with the Max Farquar blog. Unfortunately I haven’t much enthusiasm either – pretty well all I feel like saying has already been said or IS being said by others. The term “Preaching to the converted” is also a factor here. And we all know what happened when I asked for “guest” posts, so I’m not keen to go down that road again. IF, and it’s a big if, personal vendettas could be left aside, I might be prepared to try again, but with the understanding that:
1) My decision on what is used is final
2) If a post starts becoming a slanging match I will close it. I’ve got better things to do than watch my inbox fill up with “You’re a cunt – no YOU’RE a cunt” type comments. If you want to go down that route why not take up Dioclese’s invitation and do it over at his place (s).
Max may be happy to let anything go, but as a mere “custodian” I’m not. We all know TPTB are keeping an ever closer eye on the ‘net, and there is a whole army of people eager to complain. Worse still is the number of bloggers & Twitterers who have already had their collars felt, or are under some form of investigation or other. From what I read it doesn’t make the slightest difference where a site is hosted or what country the domain is registered in – if Uncle Sam (or any of his cohorts) feel they don’t like what is being said then action will be taken, and no amount of hiding behind masks (ask Old Holborn), or using proxies & VPN’s will make a blind bit of difference.
I realise this leaves me open to more snide accusations from our resident troll about “Free Speech”, but I don’t know enough about the slander & libel laws to want the worry of the Old Bill breaking the door down at midnight. Max may have a “friendly” legal bod to consult, however I don’t. He’s offered to re-draft the comment policy to reflect this, if I decide to carry on, so things may and could change. I also have the option of requiring readers to register before making their first comment, as Leg Iron does – I haven’t seen anyone criticise him for taking this step. That would have the benefit of stopping spammers making use of the WordPress facility to post comments on individual attachments.
If this smacks of turning the site into a “cozy” club, well tough – look at pretty much any blog you care to think of and you will find that each has is own “regulars” who tend not to post elsewhere. Some are so insecure that they find it necessary to make comments on their own sites using one or more of their “other” online identities – I suppose that’s one way to drive up your traffic statistics…
A month ago I was on the point of calling it a day, but certain people (thanks, you know who you are) insisted I keep going, if only for the weekly dose of fun. Friday Funnies probably takes me a couple of hours, allowing for the time spent finding material, sifting through emails from JP & GS, and putting the whole thing together. I can cope with that, and I’ll try and throw up the odd mid-week “filler” from time to time. As for other posts – I have been meaning to do a major rant, but as I suggested earlier, struggle to find the enthusiasm.
Sooooo – I invite your (sensible) suggestions as to a way forward. Should I:
1) Just continue to use MF as a vehicle for Friday Funnies, and the occasional post of my own, and hope that Max does make a return?
2) Invite “guest” posts, under certain conditions (No offence GS & FS, but I don’t see much point you two arguing about medical and pharmaceutical matters – it’s clear that you take diametrically opposite sides).
3) Make sure I start a new “Open” thread each week, in which case I would ask you to use IT for discussion, and not the comments at Friday Funnies, which sometimes go totally off track.
4) Some other direction?
5) Admit defeat and shut up shop, thereby allowing certain people to mouth off with smug satisfaction.